Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Bear Grylls

I have become fascinated with the man, Bear Grylls, after watching Man vs. Wild. I know that some people don't like it because it is not complete survival. I just read an article with the names of his three sons in it. He begins pretty rationally with Jessie but the next two are crazy. Marmaduke and Huckleberry are the other two names.
And for some reason this got me to thinking about names. Our names are our identities most of the time. It is quite weird to think that letters put in a certain order allows us to identify someone. From the specific name we can recognize that person and their characteristics. Well, that is if the name isn't common like Josh Webb. But still my full given name gives me a unique identity to the people who recognize me as those letters.

I have always thought I knew who I was growing up but have come to realize that what I knew growing up is only a part of my identity. I always have had so many different nicknames that I responded to throughout grade school and high school. And my first year of college was the same. I received a, very well suited, nickname from my peers but nevertheless it was a new identity or name. The struggle with me trying to truly understand what I am doing with my life probably doesn't directly correlate but it gives a structure to telling the story. I have always been the good kid that everyone likes and says HI to. But this was not as rewarding as I hoped for. So I am beginning a new journey. The journey of obeying God through allowing him to show me what I am supposed to do instead of fighting with myself. Will this be smooth sailing from here on out, absolutely not. I do not understand how some people can think their lives are perfects once they choose to follow God. If I have learned anything from following God and his will for me, is that I will continue to fuck up. If you are a believer in Jesus Christ then there is no way I will ever let myself think I am above anyone else. I mean, I often take part in events that show my ignorance in thinking I am above another human being. I just understand that God made me and every other person. The only time I will think good of my self is when I fully understand being in Christ. It is hard for me to understand this because I am horrible at submitting myself to someone else. It is a disease that I am fighting every day. My life is only good because Jesus died for my sins (and yours), rose from the grave, and ascended to heaven.

I am one hundred percent sure that my brain was going faster than my fingers. And I am not a big fan of re-reading my writing. So sorry for the crazy transition and if you have any questions, leave a comment.


and once again here is a little song to enjoy from the Avett Brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment